Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Mr. Bondo's Wonder Glue

©1985





One day, as I drove home from work,
I guess I didn't really mean to jerk
So hard, and that rear-view came tumblin' down.
Well, I hadn't gone so very far,
So I thought I'd redirect my car
To the K-Mart on the other side of town.


Finally got there just at dark,
Found myself a place to park
Right next to a brand new Chevy 4X4.
Well, I must say, it was a mean machine.
It was camouflage on army green
Had a sticker that said, "I'D RATHER BE AT WAR."


Had another one that said, 
"HONK IF YOU WANT YOUR LEGS BROKE."


Well anyway, I went on in,
Made my way to the bargain bin
Where I had seen the light flashin' blue.
I reached in and dug around
And it wasn't long before I found
A tube of Mr. Bondo's Wonder Glue.


MR. BONDO'S. 
It's a wonder to behold!
Twice your cash back lifetime guarantee!
MR. BONDO'S
Once it dries, it won't let go!
Sticks forever and eternity!


I thought to myself, "This should do the trick,
Says right here it's guaranteed to stick
To any surface that is free of grease or grime."
The girl up at the checkout stand 
Said, "Sir, if you get this on your hands
You better get it of, and don't waste any time!"


I went back out to fix my mirror,
And found that I could see much clearer
If I stood outside my car beneath the lights.
So I took the tube out of the wrappin'
And I don't know just how it happened,
But the stuff just sort of exploded like dynamite.


I had that glue all over my hands
So I wiped 'em off on the back of my pants,
Leaned back and thought, "That's just my luck!"
About that time, it occurred to me
I had attached myself rather permanently 
By the seat of my pants to Rambo's pickup truck. 


I was standin' there tryin' to get myself loose
When I saw this guy about the size of a moose
Comin' out of K-Mart, headed my way.
The closer he got, the madder he looked,
I knew right then my goose was cooked
And I couldn't even get down on my knees to pray!


He walked right up without sayin' a word,
The he grabbed me by the front of my shirt
And said, "Find yourself another place to lean!"
I cleared my throat, faked a smile
And said, "Well, that may take a while.
If you'll give me a chance, I'll show you what I mean."


He said, "No, you're out of time.
Boy, I'm about to ring your chime!"
And he proceeded to beat me like a drum!
But when he backed off and I was still around,
He said, "I like a man who stands his ground.
You must be tough! Or maybe you're just dumb."


I could see I'd raised some doubt in his head
So I did my best John Wayne and said,
"I'm a pistol totin' cowboy Green Beret."
I must have made a good impression
'Cause he discontinued his aggression.
Then he got back in his truck... and drove away.


I was doin' OK at keepin' up at first,
Until he took that rascal out of reverse,
Left the parking lot, started picking up speed.
My legs have never moved so fast!
I wasn't sure how long I'd last,
But then, I thought, "Well dummy, pick up your feet!"

Meanwhile, the moose was havin' a fit
Trying to figure out how a guy can sit
Against the door of a pickup truck doin' 45.
I wish you could have seen his face
When he hit 60, I was keepin' pace.
He musta thought I was the fastest man alive!


He was looking at me, just shakin' his head,
And when he turned around the light was red
So he slammed the brake through the floorboard
And I went flyin'. 
I was airborne for a city block,
Plowed right into a traffic cop.
Laid that sucker out cold. I thought I was dying!


But, I picked myself up off the ground,
And after a little bit of stumbling around,
I was finally able to regain my composure.
Then I felt a draft around my knees,
I looked down, saw my BVD's. 
The cop came to and booked me for indecent exposure. 


Well, somewhere there's a 4X4
With a pair of my Levi's stuck to the door,
And I'm gonna fix that mirror when I get the chance.
But as for now, I'm awaiting bail
And braggin' to the wino in my cell
About the night I learned to fly... 
By the seat of my pants.


No comments:

Post a Comment