Sunday, February 14, 2010

No Rhymes!



©2010 Dave Clegg

I thought it might be fun 
To write this song without a rhyme.
After all, in normal talk, 
We do it all the time. 

First, I’ll choose the proper theme,
Like “Falling deep in love”,
And avoid those worn-out phrases like, 
“The moon and stars above”. 
Next, I’ll need a catchy hook 
To give it some direction,
Romantic words (with clashing tones) 
That demonstrate affection.

I’ll tap into the memory
Of some past infatuation,
And paint a true-love picture while
Resisting rhyme’s temptation.
To make it real and genuine,
I’ll open up my heart.
And end each line with mismatch sounds,
To set this song apart.

I’ll substitute “young lass” for “girl”
Yeah, this’ll be a cinch!
Instead of “love”, I’ll use “amour”.
(Who knows love like the French?)
I’ll capture sweet emotions
With no two words alike
Homophonic syllables 
Can all go take a hike.

Behold, the verbal artistry
That gushes from my pen,
When I’m not stressed that each line
Needs to have a perfect twin.
Who made the rule that songs must have
Those words that sound the same?
I, for one, have lost the urge
To play that silly game. 

Rise up, my fellow troubadours,
Come set your spirits free.
And write each chorus, bridge and verse,
With no rhymes, just like me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment