Sunday, February 7, 2010

Zombies

©2010 Dave Clegg

All alone one evening
In my easy chair
I hear suspicious noises
So I shout, “Who’s there?”
I put down my paper,
Turn off my TV,
Only to discover 
There’s a zombie after me.
I whack him with a nicknack 
From the nicknack shelf,
I make a hasty exit
Trying to save myself.
But there’s zombies in the kitchen,
There’s zombies down the hall,
There’s zombies on the front porch
Tearin’ down the wall.
I grab my Louisville Slugger,
Three feet of maple wood.
I do my best to beat ‘em back
But it does no good.
They just keep on comin’
No matter what I do,
And deep inside, I realize
I’ve created quite a few... 

Zombies!
Stumbling through my head.
Buried,
But they won't stay dead.
I slip out through the back door,
I jump into my car.
They’re hiding in the back seat
So I don’t get very far.
I grab my daughter’s Huffy,
Both the tires are flat.
The keys are in the pickup,
But they’re all over that.
I see a motor scooter
In my neighbors drive
The gas tank is empty!
Will I make it out alive?
I commandeer a skateboard,
I’m flying down the hill,
They’re poppin’ out all over
Like living corpses will.
I make it to the QuikTrip,
I run into the store,
There’s a zombie buying coffee 
So I head back out the door.
They’re crawling out of sewers,
They’re dropping from the trees
It seems no matter where I go
There’s no escaping these...

Zombies!
Stumbling through my head.
Buried,
But they won't stay dead.

No comments:

Post a Comment